Despite being a popular and healthful snack for humans, raisins, currants, and grapes can lead to renal disease in dogs. In comparison to grapes and currants, raisins are more likely to be eaten in combination with other meals, raising the possibility of exposure. The danger of poisoning is still present.

What kinds of grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs?

Dogs have been poisoned after eating seedless or seeded grape types, commercial or homegrown grapes, red or green grapes/raisins, organic or non-organic, and grape pressings from wineries. Grape, raisins, and currant-containing foods (such as raisin bran, trail mix, granola mix, baked products) can be poisonous. Wine, grape juice, and jellies made from grapes do not appear to pose a toxicity risk.

How much is too much?

The toxic dose of any of these fruits is unknown, but there are two general guidelines to follow. While some dogs seem to be able to take tiny amounts of the fruit with no ill effects, others may become ill after consuming only a few grapes or raisins. In the current, it is impossible to forecast which canines will be more sensitive.

Why are raisins, pomegranates, and currants dangerous?

It's unclear why these fruits are poisonous at the moment. A mycotoxin (a fungus or mold-produced toxin) or a salicylate (aspirin-like) chemical found naturally in the grape has been the subject of much debate over the years, with some suggesting that the toxicity may be due to decreased blood supply to the kidneys. Tartaric acid has lately been suggested as a possible culprit. Despite this, no particular toxin has been discovered yet. Toxicology of these fruits is yet unclear, thus any possible exposure should be a matter for caution.

If dogs eat grapes or raisins, what should dog owners do?

Contact your veterinarian or ASPCA animal poison control center immediately if you suspect your pet has eaten any of these fruits. There are still a lot of unknowns about this poisoning, so it's best not to take any chances with your dog's health. Early detection and treatment are critical for your pet's safety and your wallet. Toxic effects of raisins or grapes include the following signs and symptoms: Grape and raisin toxicity, vomiting is the most common early symptom and usually occurs within 24 hours of ingestion. Within the next 12 to 24 hours, your dogs should expect symptoms such as a lack of appetite, fatigue, and even diarrhoea. For the most severe symptoms, it can take up to 48 hours after intake for them to appear. Nausea, vomiting, uremic (ammonia stink) breath; diarrhoea, abdominal pain; excessive thirst; and excessive urination are all symptoms of acute kidney damage. The kidneys will begin to fail as the poisoning develops, and the dog may no longer be able to urinate. The dog's blood pressure usually rises considerably as a result of this. It is possible for the dog to go into a coma due to an accumulation of toxins that the kidneys normally remove from the body through urine. With kidney failure and a decrease in urine flow, there are few options for recovery.

How can you know if your dogs have raisin or grape poisoning?

Nonspecific symptoms of grape or raisin poisoning make it difficult to distinguish between the two, and early indicators might be mistaken for many other causes, including a simple dietary blunder (eating foods that should not be eaten). Symptoms of more severe renal failure are very similar to those of other toxic substance. If the dog ate grapes, raisins, or currants in the past, or if there are fragments of grapes or raisins in his vomit, your veterinarian will make the diagnosis of grape or raisins poisoning. A CBC, a serum biochemistry profile, and a urinalysis are just a few of the diagnostic procedures a veterinarian may suggest to determine the extent of kidney injury. The findings of the tests will assist establish whether or not the dog will be able to make a full recovery.

What is the treatment for this poisoning?

Treatment aims to prevent or limit renal damage by preventing the poisons from being absorbed. Decontaminating the dog immediately by inducing vomiting and giving activated charcoal is the recommended course of action. Toxin absorption from the stomach and intestines is reduced as a result of this action. Inducing vomiting is critical because grapes and raisins remain in the stomach for a lengthy period of time (even up to 4-6 hours after ingestion). It is possible that additional therapy such as intensive intravenous fluids will be required following decontamination, with the goal of limiting damage to the kidneys. Medications for nausea and vomiting, kidney blood flow maintenance, and blood pressure regulation may also be needed.

Likes(3) Reward

Comment list About 0 results

No comment

微信小程序

微信扫一扫体验

Contribute
now

微信公众账号

微信扫一扫加关注

Comment
on
Back to
top